Thursday, April 28, 2011

The Best Ticket In Sports

If you have ever had the pleasure and privilege to sit courtside of an NBA game, you have just sat in the best seat in any sport. I sat front row once upon a time when you could see Olajuwon, Kemp, Barkley, Drexel, Jordan and the Admiral up close and personal for about a buck twenty five. It spoiled me. Now that ticket is a good four digit number coast to coast. One of my greatest memories was getting my father a courtside ticket to see the Rockets and Spurs on our final visit. I let him sit courtside with my older son while my younger son and myself sat in the nose bleeds. My dad met Sean Elliott a few times and was a big fan. It was last I would see my father.
Still, at that point in time we were in a very warm building for basketball, the Summitt...which has since been taken over by Joel Osteen. This building had a personality and the League had not succumbed to total entertainment. I could handle the nose bleed or semi nose bleed seats.
Not any more. Now going to a game in Houston is obnoxious and non stop nonsense. When the visiting team is announce the PA man mumbles in a low voice. Of course this jerk is an over the top homer for YOUR HOUSTON ROCKETS. Whenever Chuck Hayse scores...and on our night he had a big game...ITS THE CHUCK WAGON!!!!....with a picture of Chuck Hayes' head superimposed driving a horse powered Chuck Wagon. Enough.
Then you have the cheer leaders. That's cool and part of the game. Even the guy on the trampoline dunking is okay. But then there are the other break people...we'll call them the ants in their pants group. The ants in their pants group comes out on many breaks with crappy music playing jumping up and down with streamers and hula hoops and summer saults. This is organized chaos. Then the Rockets mascot drives around on a Harley going berserk. What a croc. The whole game is nonstop yelling and garbage when the game is on a time out. To me it really detracted from a good game. So, if you are not courtside in Houston, the best seat is in your living room.
Now, I will contrast this to an Indiana Pacers game where the focus was more on the game and less on the corny BS. The game was a nice game and I didn't leave there with my head ringing. Know this, I still play in groups from time to time that have to play extremely loud music so I'm not trying to be a prude. I love the NBA, but I guess I will stay with my living room for viewing. The NBA in Houston may be fantastic, but to me, just plain annoying. Put me back in the 70s, 80s and 90s when the game was more the thing.
THE GOLDEN AGE
Right now we are extremely lucky to be watching what is becoming a golden age in the NBA. The great talent is extremely young. The matchups for the first round are extremely exciting and down to the wire. The Magic are on the ropes and the Lakers are being stretched. The second round will be extremely entertaining. This will be one of the best second rounds in years. So watch it from the best seat in the house...the front row if you are lucky to get courtside tickets, or your living room.

No comments: