Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Football and the Heat Lose to Utah

I am not a fan of either team, but tonight I thoroughly enjoyed the Heat losing to the Jazz in Miami. My son yelled it was over time and I went down and caught the last 3 minutes.

First, Deron Williams fouled out on a terrible call. So little Ronnie Price was in the game and the deck was stacked. I have a little history with these players. Ronnie Price was in my son's district in high school. He was five six and went to McNeese State and transferred after one year. A funny thing happened after that year...he grew 8 inches!

Deron Williams played with my son in an all star game in Texas his senior year. I was always very impressed by Deron Williams, but in highschool and college he was overshadowed. In high school, Bracey Wright was his team mate who later played for Indiana and was the Texas player of the year. Bracey had major knee problems or more people would know about him. At Illinois, Williams was overshadowed by the in state guys. Now he is the best point guard in basketball. I always like the concept when you can get a guy about 6 five or taller to run point. Alot of coaches nip that concept in the bud because they have a smaller player who is fast and put the taller player on the wing.

Anyway, Kirelinko hit a big 3 pointer and Elston hit 2 free throws and the heat lose at home. One thing I thought was interesting....this was Wade's team in overtime. I don't think LeBron scored, although in fairness he was the point guard. Still, he appeared to fade into the background when it counted. Miami will have a target on their back all season.

*****************************************************************

Last week, four of the top 5 BCS teams were from the West: Oregon, TCU, Utah and Boise State.

Boise appears to be getting more of the shaft by the minute. Last year they beat Oregon and they have 22 starters back. Now for fairness, they did play them on that blue field at home. Still, I think they win again in Boise, and Oregon wins at Autzen Stadium. Who wins at a neutral site? We may never know. Oh yeah, they beat TCU as well last year. Yet they are slipping.

A team that could be the best in the USA may not even get to play in a BCS game. Go figure. If I was at a big school I would be afraid to play them as well. Still, a David vs. Goliath matchup is always intriguing.

No comments: